Re: Specification for Trusted PLs?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Specification for Trusted PLs?
Date: 2010-05-21 16:25:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:57:33AM -0400, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> > So, here's a working definition:
>> >
>> > 1) cannot directly read or write files on the server.
>> > 2) cannot bind network ports
>>
>> To make that more covering, don't yu really need something like
>> "cannot communicate with outside processes"?
>
> These need to be testable conditions, and new tests need to get added
> any time we find that we've missed something.  Making this concept
> fuzzier is exactly the wrong direction to go.

Well, the best way to define what a trusted language can do is to
define a *whitelist* of what it can do, not a blacklist of what it
can't do. That's the only way to get a complete definition. It's then
up to the implementation step to figure out how to represent that in
the form of tests.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/