Re: Error stopping postgresql service

From: Maalini Samuganardan <maalini(dot)sam(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>, devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org, Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error stopping postgresql service
Date: 2011-02-25 01:46:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi All,

Thank you for your reply.

Let me explain a bit more in detail.

This is the first time I am installing PostgreSQL Advanced Server. I do not
have any database yet, except for the edb database.
OS : Fedora 14
PostgreSQL Version : PPAS 8.4.7
I downloaded from enterprisedb website.
Installation was done using GUI - ./ppasmeta-8.4.5.18-linux-x64.bin

Below is the output from the log file /var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log :-

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.UTF-8.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UTF8.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

fixing permissions on existing directory /var/lib/pgsql/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 24MB
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1 ... ok
initializing pg_authid ... ok
initializing dependencies ... ok
creating system views ... ok
creating conversions ... ok
creating dictionaries ... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects ... ok
creating information schema ... ok
vacuuming database template1 ... ok
copying template1 to template0 ... ok
copying template1 to postgres ... ok

Success. You can now start the database server using:

/usr/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
or
/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -l logfile start

runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
runuser: warning: cannot change directory to /var/lib/pgsql: Permission
denied
-bash: /var/lib/pgsql/.bash_profile: Permission denied
postmaster cannot access the server configuration file
"/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf": Permission denied
runuser: warning: cannot change directory to /var/lib/pgsql: Permission
denied
-bash: /var/lib/pgsql/.bash_profile: Permission denied
postmaster cannot access the server configuration file
"/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf": Permission denied
runuser: warning: cannot change directory to /var/lib/pgsql: Permission
denied
-bash: /var/lib/pgsql/.bash_profile: Permission denied
postmaster cannot access the server configuration file
"/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf": Permission denied
runuser: warning: cannot change directory to /var/lib/pgsql: Permission
denied

The weird part is i checked the owner and group of the folder "pgsql" is
"enterprisedb". I do not know why it says in the log file that the file is
owned by "postgres".

If I want to do a complete and clean installation, where are the location of
files that I need to remove manually?
Please help. I don't mind reinstalling the whole thing.

Thank you
Best Regards,
Maalini