Re: Grammar and formatting errors for 9.02 pdf version

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Leslie S Satenstein <lsatenstein(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Grammar and formatting errors for 9.02 pdf version
Date: 2010-12-24 01:49:43
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Leslie S Satenstein
<lsatenstein(at)yahoo(dot)com>wrote:

> --- On *Tue, 12/21/10, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>* wrote:
>
> Since Yahoo.com does not allow me to respond as an append, please excuse
> the formatting that takes place in the left margin.

I very much doubt this is true.

> Here is an example of how I was thinking to proceed but using a word
> document so that formatting would be respected. I would present the page in
> word, and then identify the changes with red/green. To keep this email
> short, I am showing only a very few changes. Green is for an insertion,
> Red is for a deletion. Yellow is for clarification

This is just impenetrable. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what the
first example below referred to.

> Ignored (formerly, this parameter specified where to send server debug
> output).

This is on page 590 in the version of the PDF I downloaded, which surely
illustrates the folly of trying to refer to anything by page number. rather
than, say, section title. Or, better yet, providing an actual patch. While
inserting the word parameter here might marginally more correct, the
original text isn't unclear, and I'm certainly not willing to spend a huge
amount of time on changes like this. If you're willing to learn how to send
a patch, I or someone else will review it and some of your changes might be
accepted, but I don't think anyone's going to be willing to be willing to
try to interpret anything in this format.

> Page 594
> Text below is truncated as it goes beyond the right margin
>

> Make a connection to the database server in a nonblocking manner.
> PGconn *PQconnectStartParams(const char **keywords, const char **values,
> int expand_dbname);

I found this - it does go beyond the right margin. I'm not sure what to do
about this one.

> Page 595
> To begin a nonblocking connection callexecute
> conn =

What's wrong with call?

> Further down
>
> IfAfter PQconnectStart succeeds ...
>

> Leaving the opening If ..... in my mind says, what to do if it does not
> succeed then what? By writing after PQConnectStart succeeds... takes away
> liability.

If it doesn't succeed then you mustn't do what the rest of the sentence
says. The sentence is correct as written and would be wrong with this
change. By succeeds what is meant here is "returns non-NULL", as discussed
in the preceding paragraph.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company