Re: Postgres Backup Utility

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: Bradley Holbrook <operations_bradley(at)servillian(dot)ca>, "French, Martin" <frenchm(at)cromwell(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Backup Utility
Date: 2011-01-21 01:44:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Bradley Holbrook wrote:
>
>> Our developers never decide what goes to where... they just happily plumb
>> away on the development db until we're ready to take our product to testing
>> (at regular intervals), once QA is passed, we wish to apply these to live.
>> We have several diff tools and sync tools, but they take forever (especially
>> the ones that only go one schema at a time).
>
> Using a diff tool, how would you know if a column was dropped and another one added versus simply renaming a column? Won't that kind of difference matter when you want to apply the changes to your production database?

Yikes! That could be bad. Drop column xyz. Hope that data wasn't
important. To see if the column was renamed or something you'd have
to examine its rows to see if they matched a previous version.

I think that at the least I'd trawl the logs with ddl logging turned
on to get changes. But seriously, I'd just lay down the law. You
want changes in the dbs outside development, you give me, the DBA,
your DDL statements. No statements, no code push.