wxWidgets 2.9 build

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: wxWidgets 2.9 build
Date: 2011-01-15 19:33:12
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

I'm having a go at getting pgadmin to build against the development
branch of wxWidgets, 2.9. I intend to first get a clean WxGTK build,
and perhaps move on to other WxWidgets platforms afterwards. I note
that the wxWidgets/contrib directory that is present in wxWidgets 2.8
that the various shell scripts and whatnot in ./xtra/wx-build cd into
and make within are absent from 2.9.

My understanding is that some of the contrib libraries made it to wx
core, while others were taken off to the wxCode add-ons website due to
the fact that they weren't being maintained.

I have some preliminary thoughts on how we should go about doing this.
I have attempted to run make against 2.9, while using the --ignore
flag to get some concept of the full extent of breakage, by grepping
through over 10 megabytes of errors.

The OGL (Object Graphics Library) contrib library, which we have a
dependency on, is missing. WxCode indicates that the now separately
distributed lib only supports 2.8. See
http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/showcomp.php?name=ogl . I will take a
run at getting this to work against 2.9, and failing that will ping
the maintainer and get his thoughts. Worryingly, wxCode says it's of
ALPHA status. I have downloaded it separately. The sourceforge
datestamp on ogl.tar.gz is '2007-03-28' - perhaps we should fork OGL
and maintain it in the pgadmin tree directly ourselves. I have some
concerns about the licencing though - apparently the wxWindows licence
is an LGPL variant, so doing this would, I believe, constitute
creating a derivative work, whereas we were merely "using" the work
before as defined by the licence.

I see a lot of ambiguous overload errors. Ambiguous
sysSettings::Write() and ctlListView::AppendItem() calls abound. This
looks like it's down to Wx 2.9's new unicode handling (see
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/overview_changes_since28.html).

I'll take another look tomorrow.

--
Regards,