Re: wxWidgets 2.9 build

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wxWidgets 2.9 build
Date: 2011-01-15 19:48:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

Le 15/01/2011 20:33, Peter Geoghegan a écrit :
> I'm having a go at getting pgadmin to build against the development
> branch of wxWidgets, 2.9. I intend to first get a clean WxGTK build,
> and perhaps move on to other WxWidgets platforms afterwards. I note
> that the wxWidgets/contrib directory that is present in wxWidgets 2.8
> that the various shell scripts and whatnot in ./xtra/wx-build cd into
> and make within are absent from 2.9.

If you get wxGTK to work, it should be easy to make it work on Windows
and Mac OS X.

> My understanding is that some of the contrib libraries made it to wx
> core, while others were taken off to the wxCode add-ons website due to
> the fact that they weren't being maintained.

+1

> I have some preliminary thoughts on how we should go about doing this.
> I have attempted to run make against 2.9, while using the --ignore
> flag to get some concept of the full extent of breakage, by grepping
> through over 10 megabytes of errors.
>
> The OGL (Object Graphics Library) contrib library, which we have a
> dependency on, is missing. WxCode indicates that the now separately
> distributed lib only supports 2.8. See
> http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/showcomp.php?name=ogl . I will take a
> run at getting this to work against 2.9, and failing that will ping
> the maintainer and get his thoughts. Worryingly, wxCode says it's of
> ALPHA status. I have downloaded it separately. The sourceforge
> datestamp on ogl.tar.gz is '2007-03-28' - perhaps we should fork OGL
> and maintain it in the pgadmin tree directly ourselves. I have some
> concerns about the licencing though - apparently the wxWindows licence
> is an LGPL variant, so doing this would, I believe, constitute
> creating a derivative work, whereas we were merely "using" the work
> before as defined by the licence.
>
> I see a lot of ambiguous overload errors. Ambiguous
> sysSettings::Write() and ctlListView::AppendItem() calls abound. This
> looks like it's down to Wx 2.9's new unicode handling (see
> http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/overview_changes_since28.html).
>
> I'll take another look tomorrow.

I totally support this work. I really wish pgAdmin be compatible with
2.9. This will be a really hard work but a needed one.

But, just to make this perfectly clear right at the beginning, I'm
totally opposed to commit such a patch while wxWidgets 2.9/3.0 is not
available on Linux distros.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr