Re: Synchronization levels in SR

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronization levels in SR
Date: 2010-09-08 13:07:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> And in any event, there is ALWAYS a window of
>> time during which the client doesn't know the transaction has
>> committed but other transactions can potentially see its effects.
>
> Yep. The problem here is that synchronous replication is likely to
> make the window very big.

So what? If the correctness of your application depends on the
*amount of time* this window lasts, it's already broken. It seems
like you're arguing that we should artificially increase lock
contention to guard against possible race conditions in user
applications. That doesn't make any sense to me, so one of us is
confused.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company