Re: postgres invoked oom-killer

From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Silvio Brandani <silvio(dot)brandani(at)tech(dot)sdb(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres invoked oom-killer
Date: 2010-05-10 13:52:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

2010/5/7 Silvio Brandani <silvio(dot)brandani(at)tech(dot)sdb(dot)it>

> Greg Spiegelberg ha scritto:
>

>> Is this system a virtual machine?
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> No is not,
>
> is up and runnig from 4 months , 60 G of data in 9 different databases.
> Lately we import a new schema in one of those databases .

Okay. I asked because I have seen VMware's balloon driver trigger the OOMK
in Linux killing and killing databases. It wasn't enough in these cases to
simply turn off OOMK. VMware has a setting for each VM to "reserve" memory
for that VM ensuring the balloon driver won't be used to a certain extent or
at all. Then and only then would disabling OOMK really work.

Greg