Re: Views and Privileges

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matthew Woodcraft <matthew(at)woodcraft(dot)me(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Views and Privileges
Date: 2010-06-28 19:26:36
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Matthew Woodcraft
<matthew(at)woodcraft(dot)me(dot)uk> wrote:
> The fact that views run with the privileges of the view owner is a bit
> hidden in the documentation.
>
> It isn't mentioned in /3.2 Views/, which makes sense as privileges
> haven't been introduced yet.
>
> It is explained in /37.4 Rules and Privileges/, but I think most people
> using views won't have reason to read the docs on rules.
>
> I can't find any other reference to it.
>
> How about having a section under /20. Database Roles and Privileges/ on
> views and privileges?

I don't see an obvious way to fit it in there, although it doesn't
seem like a bad idea. I also wonder if we should mention something in
the reference pages for GRANT and REVOKE - at least a cross-reference
to the correct section of the documentation.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company