Re: Optimize date query for large child tables: GiST or GIN?

From: David Jarvis <thangalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimize date query for large child tables: GiST or GIN?
Date: 2010-05-20 15:43:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I have posted an image of the user inputs here:

http://i.imgur.com/MUkuZ.png

The problem is that I am given a range of days (Dec 22 - Mar 22) over a
range of years (1900 - 2009) and the range of days can span from one year to
the next. This is not the same as saying Dec 22, 1900 to Mar 22, 2009, for
which I do not need date math.

What you really need to do is not do date arithmetic using text-string
> operations. The planner has no intelligence about that whatsoever.
> Convert the operations to something natural using real date or timestamp
> types, and then look at what indexes you need.

Any suggestions on how to go about this?

Thanks again!

Dave