Re: hot standby documentation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hot standby documentation
Date: 2010-06-23 19:05:33
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 14:24 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> Fixed.  See attached.
>
> I started reading this but by chunk seven I only agree with a couple of
> these changes. None of them seem hugely important changes.
>
> I'd suggest you make a pass of copy editing that doesn't seek to alter
> the meanings or add information, so we can agree without discussing each
> proposed change in detail. Definitely don't remove information.

I've actually removed very little. The current text repeats some
information or splits up related facts across different paragraphs.

> It's not impossible to believe that temp tables could be written in the
> future, so I disagree with the comments there.

The text I wrote does not say that temp tables could not be written in
the future. It simply says why they cannot be written now.

> We could also allow SELECT ... FOR SHARE during Hot Standby, simply by
> making it same as normal SELECT, without any ill effects.

True.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company