Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Some copy-editing of the Hot Standby documentation.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Some copy-editing of the Hot Standby documentation.
Date: 2010-06-25 02:16:58
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Other(s)?? You mean your unilateral approval of your own work?

Actually, I was referring to Joshua Tolley's review. He was kind
enough to take the time to provide specific feedback, which I
incorporated into the patch. And if you need it to be plural, then
yes, I approve of my own work, too.

>> I think it's not very helpful to be trying to reject changes that
>> people (yes, including me) take the time to make to the Hot Standby
>> documentation.  The tone and style of that page do not match the tone
>> and style of other parts of our documentation, and frankly I think it
>> needs a lot more work than what I just did.  If every word that gets
>> moved is going to turn into an argument, then no one will be willing
>> to take the time to make any improvements at all, and I don't think
>> that's good for the project.
>
> So therefore we should accept everything *you* do in case there is a
> fight?

No. So, therefore, when I post a patch, you should suggest specific
ways that it can be improved, rather than trying to veto it outright.
Perhaps unlike you, I accept that the work that I submit to the
community will be changed, sometimes radically, and occasionally in
ways that I don't agree with; but for the most part I know that it
will be made stronger. And when I don't agree with a change, I take
the time to provide specific feedback which clearly explains why I
don't agree with it and what I think would make it better.

> Perhaps you will agree to accept everything other people do as
> well to encourage improvement? I don't really believe you want your
> comments to be applied back to you, do you?
>
> There is currently much documentation missing, especially around
> Streaming Rep. It would be much better to spend your time adding that
> than to contrive fights over changes that people disagreed with.

If you think that I spent time copy-editing the documentation you
wrote so as to contrive a fight, you are mistaken. As for what it
would be best for me to spend my time on, I reserve the right to make
that decision myself. However, I have been known to take other
people's suggestions, including yours, when they are not presented as
an attack on the work in which I've chosen to invest my time.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company