Re: Elections!

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgeu-general <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Elections!
Date: 2010-05-16 22:57:52
Lists: pgeu-general

2010/5/10 damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>:
> Le 10/05/2010 09:28, Simon Riggs a écrit :
>> On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 06:59 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>>> The rules don't prevent manipulation, they just require that
>>> manipulation to be planned in advance.
>>

> Even without talking about manipulations and conspiracy theories, i see
> this 4-week rule as a very good thing.
>
> Here's my experience with the PGFR votes that happened last march.
> PGFR and PGEU have similar statutes even though they've evolved
> separatedly and elections rules a slightly different...
>
> PGFR doesn't have such a rule saying that members must be registred at
> least 4 weeks before the elections. Anyone member can vote with no time
> restriction. What happened this year is that the Boad election was
> scheduled after an Open Source Meeting where PGFR had booth. Some
> visitors came to the booth and took their membership to the association,
> which is a good thing. And by doing so they got the right to vote to the
> elections a few hours later, which is absolutely not a good thing.
>
> That night we had a very important vote about changing the statutes,
> based on a proposition that took several days to come up. It was a very
> technical and important vote. During the wote, we had 5 or 6 newcomers
> voices with absolutely no clue of what was happening. I'm not saying it
> changed the final result, but surely it produced a lot of frustration
> for everyone. Even the newcomers where somewhat annoyed to take part in
> an election without understanding the pro and cons...

Saying 2+2=5 does not make it true because you say it.

AFAIK, there was 2 new subscriptions to the association during the
whole Open Source Meeting and that does not consolidate your
demonstration.

About Pgeu, I mess the date but saw that I need a 4 weeks delay, so
I'll come to pgeu *after* elections, no frustration, thank you :)