which hardware setup

From: Pedro Axelrud <pedroaxl(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: which hardware setup
Date: 2010-05-24 21:03:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,

I work for a web app to send email newsletters, and I have one question
about postgres' performance in two different setups. Actually we have one
4GB Ram VPS running our app server (it's a rails app under nginx and thin)
and a 4GB Ram VPS running the database (18GB). We want to migrate to bare
metal servers, but I have made two different setups and don't know what is
the best option:

Option 1:
App Server: Dual Xeon 5130 dual core with 4GB ram and SATA disk
Postgres: Xeon 3360 quad core with 4GB ram and 2 x 146GB 15k RPM SAS (RAID1)
disks

Option 2:
App Server and Postgres: Dual Xeon 5520 quad core with 12GB ram and 2x 146GB
15k RPM SAS (RAID1) disks

I know the first option would be better in terms of I/O for postgres, but
our app server doesnt use much I/O and with the second option we would have
much more ram.

Thank you

Pedro Axelrud
http://mailee.me