Re: 3rd time is a charm.....right sibling is not next child crash.

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 3rd time is a charm.....right sibling is not next child crash.
Date: 2010-06-08 15:08:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Jeff Amiel <becauseimjeff(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> That being said, the fact that each time this has happened, it has been a slony index that has been corrupt, I find it 'odd'.  While I can't imagine a bug in slony corrupting postgres indexes...and I can't imagine a bug in postgres corrupting only slony indexes, I don't really know what to think.  Just putting this out there in case anyone has similar issues or can use this data in some meaningful way.

Slony is just a client to postgres, nothing more, nothing less. Any
index corruption is going to be the fault of Postgres server or
hardware.

We don't know what version of postgres you're running, so nobody can
say anything for sure.

I will say that we observed an index corruption (on a zero-row
"status" table, so it grows and changes a lot during the course of a
day) about a week ago. It was not a slony table. A quick reindex on
that table and we were off and running. We noticed it because slony
was trying to insert into the table and getting a read error. This
has happened to us maybe one other time in the 10+ years this
application has been running.

I'm on Pg 8.3.7.