Re: query hangs

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: AI Rumman <rummandba(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query hangs
Date: 2010-06-14 20:16:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 5:36 AM, AI Rumman <rummandba(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I found only AccessShareLock in pg_locks during the query.
> And the query does not return data though I have been waiting for 10 mins.
>
> Do you have any idea ?

I have queries that run for hours. As long as it's using CPU / IO
(use top in unix, whatever in windows to see) it's not hung, it's just
taking longer than you expected. Those are not the same thing at all.

Seeing as how you're joining three tables with millions of rows with
no where clause, it's gonna take some to complete. Go grab a
sandwich, etc, come back when it's done.