Re: Bulk load straight into partitioned table?

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Danny Lo <lo(dot)dannyk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bulk load straight into partitioned table?
Date: 2010-05-20 03:06:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Danny Lo <lo(dot)dannyk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have about 150gb data that I'd like to bulk load into a table partitioned
> by month. I'm wondering if I could use the COPY command with a trigger on
> table to copy this in directly?
> At the moment, I'm doing:
>
> copy command into table_x
>
> then sql command:
>
> insert into master_table_a
> select * from table_x
>
> thanks,
> Danny

This, or copying directly into the table, should work fine. Per the
documentation:

"COPY FROM will invoke any triggers and check constraints on the
destination table. However, it will not invoke rules."
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/sql-copy.html)

--
Joshua Tolley eggyknap
End Point Corporation