Re: The other major HS TODO: standby promotion

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The other major HS TODO: standby promotion
Date: 2010-09-04 08:40:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 5:02 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned, the other big "missing feature" for HS is the
> ability to promote standbys to become the new master.

Absolutely. Users often express disappointment when they know
a new base backup required after fail over.

> b) when we bring a standby up, it comes up on a new timeline.  Since the
> other standbys don't have this new timeline, they are incompatible with it.
>
> The second method would be by giving standbys a way to "subscribe" to a
> new timeline.  This seems like the better approach, as it would
> logically be part of the re-mastering command.  What changes would be
> required to do this?

On my test, standby servers succeeded to subscribe the new master
when I set "recovery_target_timeline" to the new master's one.
It actually worked in some cases, but I'm not sure in all cases.

--
Itagaki Takahiro