Re: Parameters of GiST indexes

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parameters of GiST indexes
Date: 2010-06-08 18:41:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Alexander Korotkov
>> <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I think that such parameters don't have optimal value for all the cases;
>>
>> What makes you think that?
>
> Actually the whole signature method is a bit of a crock.

My point was just that we're unlikely to make any changes to the code
without, say, some performance results. I suspect we're unlikely to
make the exact change being asked for in any case, but the point is
that if you think something isn't right, it's good to back up that
position with some data

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company