Re: Configuring synchronous replication

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Date: 2010-09-21 08:59:14
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> However, the "wait forever" behavior becomes useful if you have a monitoring
> application outside the DB that decides when enough is enough and tells the
> DB that the slave can be considered dead. So "wait forever" actually means
> "wait until I tell you that you can give up". The monitoring application can
> STONITH to ensure that the slave stays down, before letting the master
> proceed with the commit.

This is also useful for preventing a failover from causing some data loss
by promoting the lagged standby to the master. To avoid any data loss, we
must STONITH the standby before any transactions resume on the master, when
replication connection is terminated or the crash of the standby happens.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center