Re: Inconsistency with LIKE and SIMILAR TO

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rosiński Krzysztof 2 - Detal TP <Krzysztof(dot)Rosinski2(at)telekomunikacja(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inconsistency with LIKE and SIMILAR TO
Date: 2010-06-15 14:43:45
Lists: pgsql-general

2010/6/15 Rosiński Krzysztof 2 - Detal TP <
Krzysztof(dot)Rosinski2(at)telekomunikacja(dot)pl>

> Hello.
>
> Operators LIKE and SIMILAR TO work differently
> This query works ok.:
>
> SELECT *
> FROM www.test
> WHERE expr like any (ARRAY['a','b']);
>
> But this not work:
>
> SELECT *
> FROM www.test
> WHERE expr similar to any (ARRAY['a','b']);
>
> ERROR: syntax error at or near "any"
> LINE 3: WHERE expr similar to any (ARRAY['a','b']);
>
> Is this shouldn't works ?

SIMILAR TO and LIKE aren't synonyms for each other. SIMILAR TO uses a cross
between LIKE syntax and regular expressions for the evalutated expression.
I'm not entirely sure what your query is supposed to be doing. I thought
ANY was a keyword denoting a row-wise comparison?

Thom