Re: Why facebook used mysql ?

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why facebook used mysql ?
Date: 2010-11-10 00:05:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:12 PM, David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org> wrote:

> I don't think you should be looking at process partitioning and core
> affinity unless you have already proved that
> you have processes that don't scale over the cores you have, to deliver the
> throughput you need.

Note that you're likely to get FAR more out of processor affinity with
multiple NICs assigned each to its own core / set of cores that share
L3 cache and such. Having the nics and maybe RAID controllers and /
or fibre channel cards etc on their own set of cores in one group can
make a big difference.

Processor affinity doesn't seem to make much difference for me with
pgsql. Modern linux schendulers are pretty good at keeping things on
the same core for a while without predefined affinity.