Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)
Date: 2010-08-28 01:43:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>  That gets in the way of our plan for world domination,
> no?  If you can't have a PG sitting unobtrusively in the background,
> waiting for you to have a need for it, it won't get installed in the
> first place.  People will pick mysql, or something else with a smaller
> footprint, to put on their laptops, and then we lose some more mindshare.

People are always complaining about hosting companies not supporting
Postgres but put yourself in the shoes of a hosting copmany that wants
to have a few hundred hosting clients all on the same box, either as a
shared box or more likely these days as VMs. That's perfectly
reasonable if they're all idle nearly all the time but if they're all
waking up ever few milliseconds that's going to consume a substantial
amount of cpu before you even start handling requests.

--
greg