Re: missing file in git repo

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian" <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: missing file in git repo
Date: 2010-05-03 15:23:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca> wrote:
> Not to rain on anyone's git-parade, I'm a huge git fan, but until the
> busy committers, like Tom, Bruce, Heikki, Robert, Andrew, Simon, Alvaro,
> (and all the rest I'm missing or don't know how to spell of the top of
> my head) actually *all use* git (and by use, I really mean use, not just
> copy-n-paste from some "howto mimic CVS with git" guide), any "planned"
> switch is just asking for a huge backlash of "it doesn't work like it
> used to", and bitter complaints...

Heikki and I are both BIG git users, and I think Andrew, Simon, and
Alvaro all use it too, though I'm not sure to what extent. Tom and
Bruce don't, AFAIK, but I don't believe that either of them are waving
their arms and shouting "no, no, no". At least, Tom isn't: and if
Bruce does, well, I know where he lives.

A couple of random things I'm concerned about:

- the buildfarm, obviously, has got to work

- we've still got to be able to send out automatic emails to
committers, and they need to not suck (I'm deliberately not specifying
what exactly that means because I don't know and I don't in any case
want to overspecify, but certainly suckage is imaginable)

- we need to make sure that all the committers understand how to keep
the history the way we want it - i.e. linear, without merges, and
possibly even implement programmatic safeguards against doing anything
else

...Robert