Re: documentation udpates to pgupgrade.html

From: "Colin 't Hart" <colinthart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: documentation udpates to pgupgrade.html
Date: 2010-09-29 14:21:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce,

To query for Postgresql services on Windows use:

sc query type= service | find "postgresql"

On my machine this yields:

SERVICE_NAME: postgresql-9.0
DISPLAY_NAME: postgresql-9.0 - PostgreSQL Server 9.0

NB the space after type= is very important, don't ask me why...

I prefer to use 'sc start <servicename>' and 'sc stop <servicename>',
then you can use one tool for everything.

The following shows these commands (and the query command) in action.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc stop postgresql-9.0

SERVICE_NAME: postgresql-9.0
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 3 STOP_PENDING
(STOPPABLE, PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x2
WAIT_HINT : 0x2710

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc start postgresql-9.0

SERVICE_NAME: postgresql-9.0
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 2 START_PENDING
(NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x7d0
PID : 3732
FLAGS :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>sc query postgresql-9.0

SERVICE_NAME: postgresql-9.0
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 4 RUNNING
(STOPPABLE, PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

Hope this isn't too much info and answers all your questions :-)

Regards,

Colin