Git cvsserver serious issue

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Git cvsserver serious issue
Date: 2010-09-22 14:03:23
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

So, I found (with some helpful hints from Robert who caught the final
nail in the coffin) a good reason why we really can't run a
git-cvsserver globally.

Any user can point their cvs client at the repository. And check out
an arbitrary branch, tag *or individual commit*. Doing so will create
a 50Mb sqlite database on the server with cache information about that
head.

That basically means that git-cvsserver is completely useless in a
public scenario as it stands. An easier way to DOS our server is hard
to find, really.

Now, if we can limit this by IP address, that would be ok. I assume we
can do this for the NLS stuff - peter?

As for buildfarm members needing CVS - is it workable to require that
the maintainers of these set up their own git clone with git cvsserver
(over ssh or pserver) and restrict it locally to the IP(s) of their
machines?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/