Re: system views for walsender activity

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: system views for walsender activity
Date: 2011-01-05 01:32:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 04:56, Heikki Linnakangas
>> I think pg_stat_replication is better than pg_stat_standby, but I'm
>> still not convinced we shouldn't go with the obvious
>> pg_stat_walsenders.
>
> How about pg_stat_replication_activity? If I understood correctly, the view
> is similar to pg_stat_activity, but displays information about connected
> standbys rather than regular backends. It's a bit long name, though.

The view currently discussed is for *master* servers. We might have some
views for replication activity in *standby* servers. So, I'd like to
choose consistent and symmetric names for them -- for example,
pg_stat_replication_master and pg_stat_replication_standby.
I've expected they will be pg_stat_wal_[senders|receivers]
when I was writing the patch, but any other better names welcome.

However, we have "max_wal_senders" GUC parameter. So, users still
need to know what "wal_senders" is.

--
Itagaki Takahiro