Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups
Date: 2011-01-18 17:03:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 17:31, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>>> pg_stream_log
>>> pg_stream_backup
>
>> Those seem better.
>
>> Tom, would those solve your concerns about it being clear which side
>> they are on? Or do you think you'd still risk reading them as the
>> sending side?
>
> It's still totally unclear what they do.  How about "pg_receive_log"
> etc?

I agree with whomever said using "wal" is better than "log" to be unambiguous.

So it'd be pg_receive_wal and pg_receive_base_backup then? Votes from
others? (it's easy to rename so far, so I'll keep plugging away under
the name pg_basebackup based on Fujii-sans comments until such a time
as we have a reasonable consensus :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/