Not accepting passwords for remote logins Mac OS X Server 10.6.5

From: Joel <felixtheratruns(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Not accepting passwords for remote logins Mac OS X Server 10.6.5
Date: 2011-02-28 21:30:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have more info in this post, and unfortunately my last post was posted (or
not posted) without remembering to subscribe to this list first XD. So if
you responded to my last one I didn't see it, so respond to this one!
Thanks.

So I can login while I am on the system as user "postgres". I previously
could not ssh into the system as the the user "postgres" (it would not
accept my password) but then I set "postgres" to have admin privileges and
it fixed that. However, when I try to login remotely (directly to the
database) I get this:

x(at)x-U52F-BBL9:~$ psql -h servername -U postgres -d repository
Password for user postgres:
psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

The password fails everytime. Any clues as to what this symptom might
entail?

I have already in postgresql.conf set:
listen_addresses = '*'

Here is the end of my pg_hba.conf
# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

local all all trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
host all all 0.0.0.0/0 md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 trust

I have also run an nmap to see if the port is open and it looks like it is
except it says "postgresql" instead of just "postgres", let me know if this
could be a problem.

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-02-28 16:03 EST
Nmap scan report for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Host is up (0.0020s latency).
PORT STATE SERVICE
5432/tcp open postgresql

Also when I go to "system preferences" -> "security"
I don't see a firewall tab, even though this is how you are supposed to
change the firewall setting on my version number. Is it possible that I just
don't have a firewall?

Thanks.