Re: Bug: Overwrites incorrect file

From: David Jarvis <thangalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug: Overwrites incorrect file
Date: 2010-06-27 00:21:38
Lists: pgadmin-support

Try this:

1. cd $HOME
2. touch *.xsession-errors*
3. pgadmin3
4. Connect to a database
5. Click on tables
6. Click the Execute arbitrary statements button
7. Type some text
8. Save as ... test.sql

Next:

1. Type *Alt-f*
2. Type *a*
3. Click test.sql
4. Click Save
5. Click Replace

You should now receive an error that the file could not be saved (because
you are saving over a directory) *OR* it will overwrite an existing file..

If the file .xsession-errors is in the same directory that you are saving,
the save as routine will "randomly" select a different file to save over.

I discovered this by:

1. Saving the file into */tmp*: there was no error.
2. Recreating all of the hidden "dot" subdirectories from $HOME directory
into */home/temp*.
3. Saving the file into */home/temp*; there was no error.

This meant that the main difference was that there are hidden "dot" files in
$HOME but not in */home/temp*. (Admittedly, it could have been a combination
of dot directories, dot files, the number of files, or some weird sum of
name lengths issue.)

I then noticed I had a 100k .xsession-errors file in $HOME that I did not
need. After I deleted it, I could no longer recreate the bug. Certainly more
than a coincidence. ;-)

Dave