Re: Transaction-scope advisory locks

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction-scope advisory locks
Date: 2011-02-01 14:00:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Itagaki Takahiro
<itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 17:12, Marko Tiikkaja
> <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi> wrote:
>> I still didn't address
>> the issue with pg_advisory_unlock_all() releasing transaction scoped locks,
>
> I guess you don't want independent locks, right? If an user object
> is locked by session locks, it also blocks backends trying to lock it
> with transaction locks.
>
> If so, I think an ideal behavior is below:
> - The transaction-or-session property is overwritten by the last lock
>  function call. We can promote session locks from/to transaction locks.

No. The lock manager already supports session-locks. This patch
should be worried about making sure that LockAcquire() gets called
with the flags the user wants, NOT with redefining the interaction
between transaction locks and session locks.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company