Re: BUG #5674: initdb failed if path contains symlink

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5674: initdb failed if path contains symlink
Date: 2010-09-28 09:08:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 03:28, Itagaki Takahiro
<itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
>>> But how likely is that to bite us elsewhere then?
>
> Initdb works well if the link is a junction (mklink /J).
> We use junctions for tablespaces, but don't use symbolic links.
> So, there are no problems unless users create symlinks by themselves.

Right. But the whole thing isn o problem unless the user creates a
symlink by themself, no?

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I think this is a Microsoft bug and it's their problem to fix, not ours.
>
> OK, but bad news is that the bug is in VC 2008, but they have not
> fixed it even in VC 2010. I'm not sure they will fix it in the future...

Yeah, that's always a problem with proprietary platforms :(

Should we publish a list of known issues that aren't in our hands
somewhere, like the wiki?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/