Re: pgAdmin III commit: Revert the previous change that introduced sysSetti

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III commit: Revert the previous change that introduced sysSetti
Date: 2011-02-17 13:24:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Peter Geoghegan
<peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 17 February 2011 11:33, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> Hi Peter;
>>
>> Just so you're aware of this...
>
> I don't mind, but I also don't understand. How could changing the name
> of the function possibly affect the sort of datatype stored in the
> registry?

Well, you changed the name of the function, but not any of the call
sites, so that wasn't really the issue as much as the removal of the
overloaded Write(string, bool) I believe, which left one of the other
overloads writing DWORDS instead of the original SZs.

The reason it's not a simple fix though (ie. by updating all the
WriteBool() call sites to actually call WriteBool() - itself, probably
non-trivial), is that users that have existing settings will run into
problems with the switch of datatypes. They'll get an error loading
old settings into the new version of pgAdmin, and when it writes the
new settings back, they'll get a similar error starting an older
version of pgAdmin.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com