Re: JDBC gripe list

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC gripe list
Date: 2011-03-30 08:07:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> On 03/25/2011 04:07 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Dave Cramer<pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Just got back from pgeast. Seems everyone seems to have a gripe about
>>> the JDBC driver.
>>>
>>> My sense is that for basic read/write/update/delete the driver works
>>> just fine. However I'd like to compile a list of everyone's gripe.
>>
>> Funny that, I just got back from a different conference where people
>> were griping about it also.
>>
>> Didn't get a detailed list but numbers of less impressed people all
>> active Postgres users and supporters.
>
> Personally, I think the JDBC driver is fine. It's not perfect, but I hardly
> feel justified "demanding" a perfect driver when I haven't contributed
> anything to its creation. People appear to be very happy to complain, but
> rather less willing to knuckle down and help!

I was passing on feedback from users, not my own thoughts.

We should at least give people the benefit of the doubt before we
condemn their willingess to contribute. I remain hopeful there are
people out there with a genuine desire to assist.

The first step is to come up with a reasonable list of tasks that need work.