Re: Database file copy

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Srini Raghavan <sixersrini(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database file copy
Date: 2010-12-23 16:04:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Srini Raghavan <sixersrini(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> I have tested this and it works, and I am continuing to test it more. I
> would like for validation of this idea from the experts and the community to
> make sure I haven't overlooked something obvious that might cause issues.

Interesting idea. It seems like it might be possible to make this
work. One obvious thing to watch out for is object ownership
information. Roles are stored in pg_authid, which is a shared
catalog, so if you're unlucky you could manage to create a database
containing one or more objects that owned by a role ID that doesn't
exist in pg_authid, which will probably break things all over the
place. There could be other pitfalls as well but that's the only one
that's obvious to me off the top of my head...

I would strongly recommend basing this on the latest minor release of
PostgreSQL 9.0 rather than an outdated minor release of PostgreSQL
8.4.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company