Re: [GENERAL] getting list of columns from a query

From: c k <shreeseva(dot)learning(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] getting list of columns from a query
Date: 2010-08-23 08:02:00
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

I am using PostgreSQL 8.4 on Fedora Linux 13 and using MS Access as the
front end for our application. It is not the problem associated with MS
Access. I got the some entries while searching for the said topic that
Oracle provides such facility.
DESCRIBE SELECT LIST which gives the details about the column names and data
types. I need such thing in postgresql, because users of my application can
execute custom query and then select the aggregate function to be applied to
the selected columns. This can be done using Pivot Table/Chart in MS Access,
but it is not sufficient, rather it will be better if postgres has support
for this.

Thanks and regards to all,

CPK