Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 11:15:56
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> The most sensible way is to make the default act intelligently depending
>> upon what it finds in the control file. If WAL contains hot_standby
>> info, then recovery_connections should be on by default, though can be
>> turned off explicitly if required. If WAL does not contain hot_standby
>> info we then we throw a WARNING and continue as if recovery_connections
>> = off, or if recovery_connections is specified explicitly then we should
>> throw an ERROR so that the user knows it won't be possible to use this.
>> I think that means we'd need to change recovery_connections to have 2 or
>> 3 values, but non-boolean:
>> recovery_connections = auto (default) | off
>> or
>> recovery_connections = auto (default) | on | off
>>

> Seems overly complicated. It would be simpler to just set it 'off' by
> default.

I kind of agree with Simon on this one, except I would probably choose
to have just on and off and make on work like his auto.

In other words, recovery_connections=on means, give me recovery
connections if possible, otherwise don't worry about it.

I'd rather not have to change the default to recovery_connections=off
- that's one more parameter someone has to set properly.

...Robert