Re: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Graf <justin(at)magwerks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reliability of Windows versions 8.3 or 8.4
Date: 2010-05-12 16:33:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Justin Graf <justin(at)magwerks(dot)com> wrote:

> I would do a plain text file something like XML.  Given this is for
> industrial use 10 years is a good number for warranty and support, but
> this stuff will hang around years later, think 20 to 30 years.  How
> many people understand FLAT ISAM tables from the 1980's today, let alone
> tools to read/modify the records.
>
> I suggest storing the records in manner that is human readable

These are all good points. There is one concern that I do have, this
information will be used to audit the billing system. Is there any
concern for loss of data if a file rewrite is interrupted by a power
failure? When using postgres there are some protections provided to
reduce this kind of data loss.

However, I do agree that tabular/xml data would stand the test of time.
--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug