Re: Wiki clarification

From: Mike Ellsworth <younicycle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wiki clarification
Date: 2011-02-26 15:24:17
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 04:52, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 2/25/11 11:10 AM, Greg Smith wrote:
>>> As far as further working on that page, I would recommend waiting until
>>> you get a clear ruling here on the appropriateness of your page for the
>>> Wiki before spending any more time working on it.  I doubt the page
>>> needs to get deleted altogether such that you'll lose all of the time
>>> you put into it.  It may just need to be rewritten to be consistent with
>>> the goal of the wiki--user-oriented documentation related to
>>> PostgreSQL.  That's not really my decision to make though, just giving
>>> my personal opinion.
>>
>> I'm more wondering what Mike expects to get out of a page on the wiki.

A small amount of credibility, with reasonable - not excessive -
wordsmithing & oversight.
You can't create a page on wikipedia.org if you own the product.

>> It would actually be appropriate (in my opinion) to have a section of
>> the wiki where people could expand on commercial applications which were
>> based on/ran on PostgreSQL if they wanted.

Yes, this is what I was hoping would evolve. Advertising was removed
6 or 7 years ago & Blogs from the main page are heavily scrutinized
for any hint of self-promotion. A simple list within the wiki would
be enough, with each wiki page 'owner' linking off of that. I see no
reason why that list could not also include "Independent Developers".
The main site encourages ISV's to consider PG. The small change
mentioned above is more symbolic than anything. It says - 'you don't
need to be Skype, Enterprise DB (or whoever) to develop a commercial
product with PG'. The 1 page of low key promotional material -
written in a basic wiki style - allows a small group to get a
foothold.

Five years from now, one of those small commercial projects may be in
a position where their contributions to PG could be substantial.
Fertile ground, a couple of seeds, a little water. If it dies, delete
it. If weeds sprout, pull it.

IMO - the recurring thread about the one-click installer keeps coming
up because of perceived preferential treatment. When Ads were removed
and the site was changed years ago, I think the pendulum went a bit
too far. Let it swing back a little.

As for my page - I truly don't give * at this point. When I asked
someone in my office to get back to work on it & was told it was
locked, my first thought was - if a wiki page about a product built on
PG isn't safe here, then where? Anyway, the 1 click a month we
currently receive will not be missed.

> We already have such a section on the main website, I suggest we keep
> just one. If a vendor wants a wiki, they can use their own wiki - and
> link it from our main website.

lost me on this. I think you're suggesting Vendors set up wiki
software for one page on their own site. Instead, I think it makes
more sense for vendors to have a link from their own site - to the PG
wiki. Maybe I misunderstand.

--
Mike Ellsworth