populating a time series database

From: Mag Gam <magawake(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL List - Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: populating a time series database
Date: 2010-05-18 10:51:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am writing an app where I have to populate file content into a database.

The file looks like this,

epoch,name, orderid, quantaty.

There are about 100k rows like this. I am curious is it best to
process each line 1 at a time or do a mass INSERT of 100k and then do
a execute?

Another question,

Since the data is going to be large, are there any tricks or tips
anyone knows how to handle time series data into a database? Is
postgresql the right tool or is there something else out there?

TIA