Re: Building pgadmin3 on Windows 7

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Adam Scott <adam(dot)c(dot)scott(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Building pgadmin3 on Windows 7
Date: 2010-11-08 17:56:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le 08/11/2010 06:21, Adam Scott a écrit :
>> Building pgAdmin3 on Windows Corrections and Help Needed
>>
>> Newbie here trying to build pgAdmin3 using wxWidgets 2.8.11 using Visual
>> Studio Express 2008.  (The INSTALL file indicates Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
>> is required; in keeping with the spirit of open source I'm trying to get
>> this working using VSE 2008).  I also have a 64-bit system if that's
>> relevant.
>>
>> Corrections
>> Using the instructions found in the INSTALL file at the root of pgadmin3
>> source  I noticed a step is required after step 2:
>>
>> " Next, from within Visual C++, open %WXWIN%\build\msw\wx.dsw and select
>>    "Batch Build" from the "Build" menu.  Click on "Configuration" to sort by
>>    that column, and check off all projects with configuration "Unicode
>> Debug"
>>    and "Unicode Release".  Click "Build"."
>>
>> * Correction extra step required: You also need to build contrib/build/stc
>> and contrib/build/ogl
>>
>> * Also, to get pgAdmin3 to compile i had to change the Additional Library
>> Directories by
>>   - right-click on pgAdmin3 in Solution tree
>>   - Under Configuration Properties, Link, General, I had to rename
>> $(PGDIR)/libxml/lib to $(PGDIR)/libxml2/lib
>>
>> Need Help
>>
>> That said, I'm fully down the rabbit hole; everything's compiling.  But when
>> I get to linking pgAdmin3 I encounter 558 errors which all look related to
>> 183 unresolved externals to wxWidgets.
>>
>> First Error: wxbase28ud.lib(strconv.obj) : error LNK2005: "class
>> wxMBConvUTF32BE wxConvUTF32BE" (?wxConvUTF32BE@@3VwxMBConvUTF32BE@@A)
>> already defined in utffile.obj
>>
>> Any thoughts?  This looks like a wxWidgets issue.  If you have suggestion
>> that would be great.  Otherwise let's get to the next set of errors. :)
>>

> I wonder if this is something caused by the recent static additions. I
> tried to build mine today and had the same errors. Unfortunately, I
> won't be able to work on this before next wednesday.

Try building wxWidgets using the build-wxmsw.bat script in
xtra/wx-build/. We have intentionally moved to dynamically linking
with wxWidgets recently, so you should see it linking with import
libraries (.lib files), which will require the corresponding DLLs.

I'll update the INSTALL file. Guess I forgot that (sorry).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company