Re: Looking for Suggestion on Learning

To: ray joseph <ray(at)aarden(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Looking for Suggestion on Learning
Date: 2011-02-06 17:27:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM, ray joseph <ray(at)aarden(dot)us> wrote:

> Matt,
>

> Thank you for your insightful view. I do not have a design for any of my
> design opportunities. This is one reason I was looking for a design tool.
> I have many work processes that are inter related, generated by different
> groups that must transcribe data from each others artifacts. I do have
> Visio but I have never used it for this purpose. Since one of my objectives
> is to learn about db design, maybe I can find some training material using
> Visio. I wonder if Visio will generate SQL. If I recall, only the
> enterprise version of Visio produces SQL, so I would like to find a FOS tool
> for this. A tool and associated tutorial would be great.

As was mentioned earlier and pencil and paper is a great tool to start with.
The first several drafts of my database were done with graph paper and a
pencil. I find it much quicker in the beginning to do it this way then use
a computer and make changes to it through a program. When you get a design
almost nearly complete then I would recomend a computer program. If you go
the route of Viso there are templates for databases built in so this may
save you some time. As far as code generation goes I have no idea as I
prefer to do all my generation by hand.

> BTW, I do use Notepad++. I have used gnome.org/dia, but I find it much
> weaker than Visio. I did not realize that PHP admin required a web server,
> but I have recently installed Apache for SVN. I looked at PHP admin even
> though my preference is Python. I have also looked at Maestro but have had
> a similar problem with tutorials.

PHP is a server side language and thus is usually not run from the
commandline like ruby or python, it is generally run through a web server
such as apache or IIS.

> Thank you for the link to the ‘docs’ site. I have been there many times
> over the past couple of years but now I see it in a new light (I’m slow).

When you hand code SQL with Notepad++, how do you launch the code?

There are several ways to launch the code. I use the PHPPGAdmin and load
the file into the GUI and launch it that way. I haven't really gotten that
far into my development yet where I need to do this on a large scale, for
now that method works for me. I am sure there are other ways to do it
through the PG commandline interface.