Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Use a latch to make startup process wake up and replay

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Use a latch to make startup process wake up and replay
Date: 2010-09-15 20:01:20
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Will finishing it help?

Yes, I expect that to help a lot.

> Before, I had no patch. Now mine "isn't finished". At what point will my
> ideas be reviewed without instant dismissal? If we accept your seniority
> argument, then "never" because even if I finish it you'll say "Fujii was
> there first".

I said very clearly in my previous email that "I think that everyone
is prepared to accept a limited amount of further delay in pressing
forward with the main part of sync rep". In other words, I think
everyone is willing to consider your ideas provided that they are
submitted in a form which everyone can understand and think through
sometime soon. I am not, nor do I think anyone is, saying that we
don't wish to consider your ideas. I'm actually really pleased that
you are only a day or two from having a working patch. It can be much
easier to conceptualize a patch than to find the time to finish it
(unfortunately, this problem has overtaken me rather badly in the last
few weeks, which is why I have no new patches in this CommitFest) and
if you can finish it up and get it out in front of everyone I expect
that to be a good thing for this feature and our community.

> Do we have to benchmark multiple patches to prove which is best? If
> that's the criteria I'll finish my patch and demonstrate that.

I was thinking about that earlier today. I think it's definitely
possible that we'll need to do some benchmarking, although I expect
that people will want to read the code first.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company