Re: Extensions, patch v20 (bitrot fixes) (was: Extensions, patch v19 (encoding brainfart fix))

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions, patch v20 (bitrot fixes) (was: Extensions, patch v19 (encoding brainfart fix))
Date: 2010-12-19 03:43:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> - Has the issue of changing custom_variable_classes from PGC_SIGHUP to
> PGC_SUSET been discussed?  I am not sure whether that's an OK thing to
> do.  If it is OK, then the documentation also needs updating.
>
> - This comment looks like leftovers:
>
> +       /* FIXME: add PGC_EXTENSION so that we don't abuse PGC_SIGHUP here? */
> +       SetConfigOption("custom_variable_classes",
> +                                       newval, PGC_SIGHUP, PGC_S_EXTENSION);
>
> Apologies if I missed the previous discussion of this, but why are we
> adding a new GUC context?

Looking at this a little more, I am inclined to think that
ExtensionSetCVC() is entirely unacceptable. Our backend startup is
high enough already. Sequential scanning the pg_extension catalog on
every startup to spare the DBA the trouble of setting up
postgresql.conf strikes me as a bad trade-off. If you were to come
back and say that custom_variable_classes is a vile hack from the
darkest reaches of wherever vile hacks originate from, I would agree
with you. Having a GUC that controls what names can be used as GUCs
is probably a bad design, and I'd like to come up with something
better. But I don't think this is it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company