Re: git config user.email

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git config user.email
Date: 2010-07-22 09:41:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:33, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On tor, 2010-07-22 at 09:18 +0100, Dave Page wrote:

>> > Are you referring to the mapping list for the git mirror, or something else?
>>
>> Yes, the mapping list.
>
> The mapping list was originally composed by me on a whim based on what I
> thought people's email addresses tended to be.  It wouldn't hurt to
> ponder Robert's points at this time.

Agreed. And per the discussion at the developer meeting, even if we
don't limit what can be used, we should at least give committters a
chance to pick a different address from the one they are on that list
with today.

*Personally*, I'd prefer to keep using my main email address for
commits. This is what I use for all other projects (postgresql or
others) that I commit or contribute to. It's an address on a domain I
own, and fully control. It's a pretty clear indication of my
"identity" in the opensource world, whereas close to nobody would know
who mha(at)postgresql(dot)org is. Plus, email to it tends to be delivered
much quicker and more reliably than the @postgresql.org one - though
that has improvied significantly lately.

But I can also see Roberts point. If a committer doesn't have a
*stable* address, we won't be able to track this committer through
time. Say if he changes job and gets a new address, we can start using
that one for new commits, but not for old ones. And since we grant
commit status to the *person* and not the representative of a company,
using a company email address doesn't quite match up there.

When it comes to using generic @gmail.com or whatever addresses,
that's somewhere in between. For a lot of people, those can definitely
be considered stable, because a change in employment, a move to a
different country, things like that, won't affect the email address
(which it would be if it was an ISP-specific one for example - that
might not transfer to a new country or even a new city).

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/