Re: Git conversion progress report and call for testing assistance

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Git conversion progress report and call for testing assistance
Date: 2010-08-28 10:16:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 22:02, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 21:30, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> OK, the list works now, but the commitdiff links in the messages do
>>> not.  Looks like they are pointing at the wrong repository.
>
>> Well, actually, they point to the right one, but the mirroring off to
>> that one is turned off. There are just too many different versions
>> right now to keep that thing pointing the right way :-)
>
> Oh, OK.
>
> In any case, you asked for feedback on the message format, so here is
> some: I don't like having the commitdiff link first.  I think the log
> message is the most important thing and should be first.  Possible
> format (based on the example I just received):

Ok. I see the point of that - particularly for MUAs that show a short
preview and don't filter the link out of it.

Should we consider actually removing the Log Message header and just
put the message right at the start? If there's no link first, that
would be fairly obvious, I think..

> Log Message
> -----------
> Another experimental commit.
> Undo hacking other people previously did on README.
>
> Branch
> ------
> REL9_0_STABLE
>
> Details
> -------
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql-migration.git;a=commitdiff;h=1add27be08978f20edb67ca5854f6701f0f6ea86
>
> Summary
> -------
> README |    4 ----
>

> You could argue it either way about whether to put the commitdiff link
> before or after the change summary, but offhand I think before will be
> more useful.  If there are a lot of files touched, people won't want
> to have to scroll to the bottom to find the link.

I definitely think it should stay before - that way it will almost
always stay "above the fold" for readers. Keeps it very easy for those
who prefer to just click that link to get the full diff right away.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/