detecting transaction results?

From: James Hartley <jjhartley(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: detecting transaction results?
Date: 2010-09-20 20:36:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

In looking at the discussion in Section 3.4 of the 8.4.4 Documentation on
transactions, it appears that it is meant to be transparent. If the
transaction succeeds, it succeeds. If it doesn't, it is rolled back. Yet
is there anyway to determine if the transaction succeeded or not after the
fact? I am writing a cron which depends upon multiple files being accessed
through ftp. I would like to store the results in a table, but this is
dependent upon whether all files were successfully read or not.

Thanks for any insight anyone would care to share.

Jim