Re: Caution when removing git branches

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Caution when removing git branches
Date: 2011-01-27 17:14:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 17:52, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> >
>> > Well, branch creation can always be undone --- branch removal seems like
>> > the big problem because it can't.
>>
>> As I've repeatedly said, branch removal CAN be undone.  I don't see
>> any evidence that we have an actual problem here that needs worrying
>> about.
>
> OK, someone removes a branch.  If it is still in his local tree, he can
> push it back.  If not, he has to go around and find someone who does
> have it, and who has the most recent copy?  Can master be removed too?

Correct. And *somebody* made the last commit on it, and that somebody
hopefully still has the branch around - and you can find out who that
is by looking at the committers email.

No that's not a streamlined procedure, but it's hopefully ont
something that will happen *often* at least :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/