Re: pg_upgrade issues

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: depstein(at)alliedtesting(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgagarinov(at)alliedtesting(dot)com
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade issues
Date: 2010-07-26 12:56:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> I am inclined to prevent pg_upgrade from migrating any database that
>> uses any of these reg* data types, and document this restriction.  I
>> probably could allow regtype because that pg_type is preserved.
>
> I have applied the attached patch to CVS HEAD and 9.0 that prevent
> migration when any reg* data type is used in a user table (except
> regtype because pg_type.oid is preserved).

This is a good change; however, there is still some potential for
lossage here. What if the column were declared as type OID? Then it
would be hard to tell whether migration was safe or not. Perhaps the
right long-term solution is to try harder to preserve OIDs in more
cases.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company