Re: Info on non supported Features

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Info on non supported Features
Date: 2011-01-10 09:53:27
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Jasmin Dizdarevic
<jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> as I started working on email notification Dave told me, that I've to
> disable all email notification relevant GUI elements, if the required
> pgAgent version is not installed.
> I did that of course, but I thought why we should not tell the user, why a
> control is disabled.
> My idea is not to disable the control, but hide it and place an explaining
> text on it's position. In code we know which version is required because of
> the call pgConn::BackendMinimumVersion(major, minor).
> I've extended this method to pgConn::BackendMinimumVersion(major,wxControl*
> control) and every time this is called, the desired control will be hidden
> and a wxStaticText control will be added.
> The text is for example: Supported in PostgreSQL %i.%i, major, minor
> => Supported in PostgreSQL 9.1. See also the attached screenshots.
> I know this is not applicable in all situations, but it's a useful
> information.
> What you think about it? Shall I finalize this feature?

Changing the type of control doesn't seem like a good idea. It can
make the dialogue look different depending on the server that is
connected, which may confuse the user. If you simply set the text in
the existing control, I think that would be acceptable. Of course, it
wouldn't work for radio buttons/checkboxes, but I think that's a small
price to pay.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com